There are many things I love life. Harry Potter and baking are two of them. But you already know that, especially if you have been reading my blog for a while. I am sure you did not miss my recipes for Harry Potter’s Birthday Cake and for butterbeer cupcakes. And today, I am giving all my attention to this Harry Potter inspired treacle tart. This recipe is the fourth of my Harry Potter Recipes series of blog posts.
I’ve got to admit that ever since I started to work again, I did not put as much time into baking. I remember back in the summer when I was baking once a week and sharing the recipe with you. I even made a whole video of me baking that Harry Potter’s Birthday Cake! It was quite fun to make! Funnily enough, this video is one that got the most views on my Youtube channel! So yes, I admit it, I have not been baking that much lately. My last big baking day was before Christmas when I baked stained-glass cookies for my office and my husband’s.
Harry Potter Inspired Treacle Tart Recipe
I did try to bake after that once I think but without much success. Indeed, I attempted to make a vegan key lime pie but it tasted of coconut milk and not so much of lime. Thus, now that I am stuck at home because of the confinement, I have much more time to bake! Technically not really since I do work from home. However, I am much more inspired to bake and that is why I decided to go for this Harry Potter inspired treacle tart!
For those who do not know what a treacle tart is, it is a traditional English dessert, made predominately of shortcrust pastry and golden syrup. It is a favorite dessert in the Wizarding World and also a personal favorite of Harry Potter, who likes it so much that he smells it when he is in the presence of Amortentia. Now, let’s get on with this Harry Potter inspired treacle tart recipe!
- 2 shortcrust pastries
- 400g golden syrup
- 150g bread
- 2 lemon zest and juice
- 1 whole egg
Method for the Treacle Tart
1. The perfect Harry Potter inspired treacle tart recipe starts with pre-heating the oven at 400°F or 200°C.
2. Then, butter and flour a 9-inch baking tin. Lay one shortcrust pastry in the baking tin. Pierce wholes with a fork. Set aside for now.
3. In a food processor, blend 150g of bread. Make sure you get really small crumbs. Set aside. Grate the two lemons to get the zest, then juice them. As the treacle tart will have a strong flavor of lemon and that is not something you are fond of, you can reduce the quantity of lemon juice you are adding to the mixture.
4. In a sauce pan, warm the golden syrup over medium heat. Make sure it is just warm. Do not boil nor simmer.
5. Add in the breadcrumbs, the lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir for a minute. The mixture will look very liquid but it is meant to be. The liquid will evaporate during baking.
6. Pour the mixture into the crust. Then, lay the second crust on a baking paper and cut long stripes of dough. Create a dough lattice on top of the mixture. Fold the edges of the first crust over the rim of the pie. Whisk the egg into an egg wash. Apply over the crust.
7. Bake for 30 minutes at oven 400°F or 200°C. The crust must be golden and the filling must set before you remove the treacle tart from the oven. Let cool for fifteen minutes at room temperature. Your Harry Potter inspired treacle tart is ready! You may serve it with a cup of tea!
That is it for this Harry Potter inspired treacle tart recipe! It is very straightforward and easy to do! Will you give it a go? What is your favorite food from Harry Potter? What recipe would you like me to do next?
Thanks a lot for stopping by. I hope you liked this post.
See you soon,