My favorite sweet treats are the one lemon-based. Who does not like lemon? Well, I mean, it is such a great fruit to play with when it comes to baking. But also when it comes to cooking savory. Thus, you got it, I love lemon. Furthermore, the only reason why you do not get more lemon-based recipes on this blog is because I am trying to add variation and diversity to my baking. Otherwise it’d be quite boring. Even though I do not believe lemon can ever be boring! It definitely is not when baking a lemon meringue pie!
I think a lemon meringue pie is the best way to use lemon in baking. The best way I have found so far. Yet, I do admit they are amazing in macarons! However, the last time I tried, I ended up with lemon tuiles, which were very good, I will give them that. So far, I just manage to do chocolate macarons, which is already quite something isn’t it? Indeed, macarons are known for being difficult to bake. So may variables involved!
Anyway, back to the point. A lemon meringue pie offsets the sourness of the lemon with the sweet creamy meringue. It’s almost like both were made for each other. I do love lemon pies as well but the meringue really upgrades it! So I thought I’d share my lemon meringue pie recipe with you today!
The easiest lemon meringue pie recipe
Ingredients for the lemon meringue pie:
-1 Shortcrust pastry roll
-180g white sugar
-20cl crème fraîche
-150g icing sugar
Method of the lemon meringue pie
1. Pre-heat your oven at temperature 180°C. Then, spread the pastry in a round baking pan. Pierce with a fork in multiple places. Next, put baking beans on top. Bake for ten minutes in the oven.
2. In a bowl, put two full eggs and two yolks. Set the two whites apart. Then, add the crême fraîche and the sugar. Mix thoroughly.
3. Grate the lemons to retrieve the zests. Then, squeeze them for the juice. Mix the lemon juice and zest with the mixture.
4. Take the baking pan out of the oven. Remove the baking beans. After that, add the lemony mixture. Bake for thirty minutes.
5. In another bowl, use the two whites you had previously set apart. Add two other whites. Whip them to a light mousse. Next, add the icing sugar, little by little, still whipping. This stage is probably the most important for a delicious lemon meringue pie. Indeed, the meringue makes the difference!
6. After the thirty minutes have gone, add the meringue mixture on top of the pie. After that, you can draw patterns on the surface with a spoon or a fork. Put it back in the oven for ten minutes.
7. Leave the pie on the oven (turned off) for 40 minutes so that the top of the meringue gets crunchy.
8. Pour yourself a cup of tea, get a slice and enjoy!
That’s it! Yes, that is just it! I promise! This lemon meringue pie recipe is the easiest I could come up with. Or , actually, that my mum came up with since she is the one who made me discover this delicious lemony treat. However, I can assure you lemon meringue pies are easy and quick to make and always the perfect treat for tea time!
So, what do you think? Do you love a good lemon meringue pie? Or just lemon based cakes? Are you hungry now? Wanna bake a pie soon?
Did you know I am on Youtube? Why not check out my videos?
Hope you liked the recipe. Thanks for reading.
See you soon,