Some days I really miss the UK. For the scones for example. So I decided to bake some at home. So easy to make yet delicious and the perfect afternoon treat! But it’s one of human being’s greatest skills to adapt to a new environment, and the US being the country of the cupcakes, I decided to give those a go.
I mean, giving them another go. Because I seem to be cursed when it comes to cupcakes. I always put too much batter into the cases and my piping game isn’t up to scratch. Turns out I had the wrong nozzles. They might not look the best, but they were actually delicious.
Because, substance over form, am I right? Because I am a chocolate lover, I decided to make chocolate cupcakes!
|For the cupcake||For the frosting||For the decoration|
-38g cocoa powder
-10g baking soda
-1 egg + 1 yolk
-56g unsalted butter (soft)
-50g dark chocolate
-125g crème fraîche
-120ml boiling water
-113g unsalted butter (soft)
-56g salted butter (soft)
-340g icing sugar
-100g milk chocolate
1. Make the cupcakes. Pre-heat the oven at 180°C.
2. Mix together in one bowl 125g flour, 38g cocoa powder, 10g baking soda and salt.
3. In another bowl, whisk 56g butter until creamy. Add 220g sugar and mix until fully incorporated. Add 1 egg, 1 yolk and vanilla extract.
4. Melt 50g of dark chocolate, then add to the second bowl.
5. Add 125g of crème fraîche and mix until fully incorporated.
6. Add the content of the first bowl (dry ingredients) to the second bowl, progressively to avoid lumps.
7. Add half the boiling water and mix until smooth. Mix in the remaining half.
8. Line up cupcake cases on a baking tray. Fill each 2/3 and put in the oven for 17 to 20 minutes. Let cool on a rack when cooked.
9. Make the frosting. Put 140g of raspberries in a blender until liquid. Sieve to get rid off seeds. Cook to reduce quantity by half. Let cool.
10. In a bowl, mix softened unsalted butter and salted butter with an electric whisk until creamy. Add 100g of icing sugar.
11. Add raspberry liquid to the mix. Add vanilla extract and the remaining 250g of icing sugar. Whisk until fully incorporated.
12. Put the frosting in a piping bag and pipe on top of the cupcakes.
13. Make the decorations. Melt 100g of milk chocolate. Put in a plastic piping bag with a thin nozzle. Pipe drawings (hearts, flowers, stars, etc) on a parchment paper and put in the fridge for 15 minutes to set.
14. Decorate cupcakes with chocolate drawing and raspberries.
Have you ever tried to make cupcakes at home? How did you get on? What’s your favorite flavor? And frosting?
Thanks a lot for stopping by. I hope you liked this post.
Remember to subscribe to my Youtube channel!
See you soon,
This looks, and sounds, delicious! I’m looking forward to giving it a try. ?